<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Monday, April 04, 2005

I'm Back with a few words about John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands

Hi Again!
Sorry I have been so quiet over the past week. I have been writing a post that has become quite a project. I have also been catching up on a bunch of movies in my free time. I have been on a big Cassavetes jag for the past couple of days. I finally watched A Woman Under the Influence, and I thought it was amazing, it took me a while to gain the courage to watch it, but it was worth it. For anyone who is interested in seeing the greatest acting ever, just watch John Cassavetes' films. Gena Rowlands should get the credit she deserves, she is possibly the greatest actress I have ever seen. In any case her performances would be on a short list of the greatest performances of the 20th century. Truly Amazing.

Then I somehow managed to watch A Constant Forge, the 3 1/2 hour documentary about John Cassavetes. It had some interesting anecdotes, but I thought that for being 3 1/2 hours it really didn't say very much about the man. It was also obvious which films, the filmmakers were unable to use clips from, because there was almost no word about Johnny Staccato, Too Late Blues, A Child is Waiting, Husbands, Minnie & Moskowitz, Gloria and Love Streams. There also wasn't much of a linear biography -which isn't always necessary, but considering there was such a large part of his career that was hardly discussed, I don't know how they managed to fill 3 1/2 hours with people talking about how fun he was to work with!). Ultimately, I felt disappointed, and wished that the many missing parts of his life could be filled in somewhat for me.

Then I re-watched The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. I loved it all over again, it really is one of my favorites! Highly recommended!

John Cassavetes' films take getting used to, so if you see one or two and they don't grab you right away, please give them another chance, they are worth it. John Cassavetes' films are the most honest depictions of human behavior I have ever seen, I feel that I am somehow more human after watching them. It is a closer experience to actually knowing the people on the screen instead of being entertained by them, like most films. I obviously like both kinds of movies, but Cassavetes' films are so unique, there is nothing that compares. I would recommend starting with Minnie & Moskowitz because it has enough of the Cassavetes style, for you to get used to, and it is a charming, and unusual romantic comedy.

Well, I need to go again. I just made a 2 hour bus ride to Movie Madness and back and I had better start watching the movies I rented which are Heart of Glass -Werner Herzog, Young Torless -Volker Schlondorff, Gone to Earth -Powell and Pressburger, and Tristana -Luis Bunuel.

I hope to have a my post explaining why I love films of the 1930's up soon. Till then,
Peace Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters