<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Grand Illusion


Grand Illusion
Originally uploaded by livingfilm.
"THE ABSURDITY OF WAR". Whenever I hear that phrase used to describe a film, I groan, then chuckle. I mean, who needs a film to tell them that war is a waste? That being said, I must talk about one of the greatest Masterpieces in the history of histories, Jean Renoir's La Grande Illusion.

Jean Renoir was Genius enough to make a film about War, that instead of showing the Brutality of War showed us the Humanity of the people involved. Set during "The War to End All Wars" WWI, in German POW camps, there's practically no violence in the movie at all, which seems almost impossible considering the subject, yet it is far more moving than any other film on the subject I have ever seen. The first time I saw this movie I must admit, I fell asleep in the theater. But, I really place all of the blame on the fact that I had been up since 4:00 am working at Starbucks, than the film boring me to sleep. I was so angry with myself, especially since the final reels of the film were so moving, and I had no idea how the characters got to be where they were.

The Characters, Oh dear God, the Characters! First off the central character is the charming and rakish Jean Gabin as Lieutenant Marechal, he is joined in his adventures by Pierre Fresnay as the aristocratic Captain de Boeldieu, Marcel Dalio as Rosenthal -a wealthy Jewish POW who feeds his fellow prisoners with the elaborate packages he receives from his family, and last but not least "The Man You Love To Hate" Erich von Stroheim as Captain von Rauffenstein. Each are played to perfection! I should also mention the wonderful Renoir regular Julien Carette who steals each of his scenes as the horny, vulgar, lovable actor, who helps entertain his fellow POWs.

A World War reduced to snowball fights, drag shows, and a little German girl who wants to eat baby Jesus for Christmas, these are a few of the grace notes that give this film life, and will live with me forever.
You Must Watch This Film -several times,
Derek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters