<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Friday, February 11, 2005

Breaking the Waves


Breaking the Waves
Originally uploaded by livingfilm.
I have this habit of hating things irrationally. Many cases it has to do with the way something is presented to me, like if someone I consider a disgusting Pig creates something and calls it brilliant, I might boycott it and have nothing to do with it from then on. As far as film goes the only two people I have sworn off are Kevin Smith & Lars von Trier. As far as Kevin Smith is concerned, I felt violated by Mallrats, and just can't stand the man in general, and plan to never face watching anything he directs again. Lars von Trier on the other hand is violently despicable in interviews. His ego is like a black hole swallowing the universe. His claiming to channel the spirit of Carl Theodor Dryer while making Medea, is only a prime example of why he disgusts me. This is why I have spent the past nine years avoiding Breaking the Waves, against the strong persistence of certain friends of mine who have suggested my watching it. Well, I would like to take this moment to say, I was wrong.

I really didn't want to like it, even just for the self satisfaction of knowing all these years that it was pretentious garbage and I was better without. To my chagrin I was faced with a film that I found the work of a genius. Every aspect of the film was with merit, the exquisite photography, the beautifully tragic story, the brilliant performances -particularly Emily Watson, and the wonderful 1970's soundtrack. I couldn't find fault with the picture. I guess Lars von Trier is a genius, and as with other genius' Josef von Sternberg, Erich on Strohiem & Prince I will no longer be bothered by his knowing it. I look forward to watching his other films. As for Kevin Smith, I will continue to hate him.

2 Comments:

Blogger polly conway said...

Derek, I agree with Ted in that Kevin Smith's only redemption is his love for Prince and The Time. His characters are whiny and retarded, and they make me hate both men and women. My brother keeps trying to get me to watch Dogville, but I am afraid. You have given me strength to check it out...maybe I'll like it!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

I try not to think of Kevin Smith loving Prince and The Time, its too disturbing. Besides, it's very easy to picture him listening to Everclear or Blues Traveler or Sting.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters