<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Le Conformiste.... and Newer Films.


Le Conformiste
Originally uploaded by livingfilm.
So, I have this (sort of) resolution to catch up on all of the films that have been released over the past ten years or so, that I have yet to get around to watching. Being a known Cinephile, I often shock people with my lack of exposure to films released during my life time, creating an often awkward silence, when the conversation turns to some newer release that everyone is gushing about, and I admit to never having watched. Some of these films I once saw trailers for, and could never muster the interest to watch, even after (and sometimes because) every person between the ages of 7 to 35 swore it was like witnessing the second coming of Christ, not to mention being a personal favorite. Others may have reminded me of someone I hate and the mental image of them enjoying it, turned me off. While others I simply forget about while looking for things to watch.

Well, the other day while searching for more recent films to once again give me something to talk about at the water cooler, I picked up and put back on the shelf Mike Leigh's Naked, Lars von Trier's Breaking the Waves, and several other films that I just couldn't bear watching yet. I did however rent Napoleon Dynamite-2004, Pedro Almodovar's The Flower of My Secret -1995 (on Tedd's recommendation), and Bernardo Bertolucci's The Conformist-1971.

I really enjoyedNapoleon Dynamite , I didn't think was DEF COMEDY JAM or anything, but did laugh. I also enjoyed The Flower of my Secret, it wasn't my favorite Almodovar film( but it was still way better than most people's movies). But of course my favorite film of the bunch was the 34 year old The Conformist. I can't help it!

The 20 year old VHS copy I watched may have seen better days, but chances are not much. It was poorly dubbed in English (as a French/Italian co-production it may be dubbed regardless), Pan & Scan, and a shortened American version, but it still looked amazing. It reminded me of the first time I watched Luchino Visconti's The Leopard. It was a grainy bootleg video, yet I could tell it was one of the most beautifully photographed films I would ever see, and decent release would be an event. I say the same would go for The Conformist. I hope it's released on DVD soon.

As far as a brief summary of the film I will try, though I think at least a second viewing would be necessary for something complete.
The title kind of sums up the theme of the movie. It is the story of Marcello, who concerned with his abnormality (partly due to his latent Homosexuality), and is willing to do almost anything to conform to his society, in this case fascist Italy. Yet, he has a fear of guns, and falls in love with a woman (an anti fascist he is supposed to kill) who is herself pursuing Marcello's trophy wife. It has a non linear story-line, told though a series of Marcello's flashbacks. People, costumes, and scenery are exquisite. Highly Recommended, look out for showings in local theaters, there was a restoration about 10 years ago that included apparently important scenes. It may show up sometime.

Now I am off to watch Last Tango in Paris, (more Bertolucci, and this time Jean Pierre Leaud appears!) Wong Kar-Wai's Days of Being Wild, and Preston Sturges' Miracle of Morgan's Creek. By the way Preston Sturges on Preston Sturges is a great book Highly Reccomended!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters