<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Sunday, January 30, 2005

More Newer Films


Saddest Music in the World
Originally uploaded by livingfilm.
So over the past few days I have been able to catch up on a few film. I watched A Very Long engagement, The Saddest Music in the World, and Days of Being Wild. I also watched a bunch of Preston Sturges films, but I will write a separate post for those. I'm not going to write synapses, because you may have seen these films already and that would be boring to read (and write), so I'll just tell you what I think of them.

I really enjoyed A Very Long engagement. It's a pretty melancholy film compared to Amelie, I think that is part of the reason some reviewers were a little disappointed with it, not to mention the slower pace bored some people. But, I wasn't bored at all. I thought that it was a very sad and lovely film, but, I also kind of like movies like that. I really enjoy all of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies, though I always forget to watch Alien Resurrection. I really love his baroque storybook style, it is always so great to watch, and I think it really suited this film well, giving it a visual depth that was breath-taking. I recommend watching it.

The same evening I watched Guy Madden's The Saddest Music in the World. It was actually the perfect film to watch after A Very Long Engagement. The only other Guy Madden film I have seen is Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary, and after seeing this film I feel it would be in my best interest to see his other films. It was very funny, and the visual elements of the film where spectacular! I think it is exciting to find a film-maker who can make a film that is so beautifully stylish, and also still very entertaining to watch as this film.

I really enjoyed watching Wong Kar-Wai's Days of Being Wild. It was also a very beautifully photographed movie. I really need to watch the rest of his films, I have so far only seen this one, Chungking Express, Happy Together & In the Mood for Love, each I have really loved. I really love how super romantic everyone is in his movies, it would almost seem too dramatic, but I enjoy it. Not to mention all of the people in his movies are always so damn good looking, I can't stand it!

Well, off I go again. I will now watch Naked, and possibly more Sturges.
Later -Derek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters