<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Monday, March 14, 2005

James Cagney and The Public Enemy


Cagney
Originally uploaded by livingfilm.
Okay. So, I have a rule to avoid making these sorts of statements because they are generally unfair, and tend to make the person saying it sound like an ass, but I don't care right now because I think it is worth it. I'll risk it.

If you don't think James Cagney is a phenomenal actor, you know nothing about acting. At least film acting.

I understand that his acting style is very stylized, and is against the accepted style of acting that is popular today. But, I am hard pressed to think of anybody who had a screen presence quite as strong as Cagney. Just take a look at The Public Enemy -1931, the film that made him a star. The story is legendary of how Cagney was originaly cast as a supporting character in the film, before Darryl F. Zanuck Production Chief of Warners -who in a couple of years would leave Warner Bros. to form 20th Century Pictures- decided that Cagney clearly had the screen dominance, and the actor's roles where switched. As Tom Powers Cagney would give one of the cinemas most unforgettable, and timeless performances, in part because he dynamically out-shines everyone else in the picture.

From his first appearance on the screen, it is nearly impossible to take your eyes off him. His performance is full of small touches and nuances that would give the impression of a screen hog were they used inappropriately, or intentionally to draw attention away from the other performers, but in his hands they are the tools that create a compelling character who is as charming and psychotic as the role demands, and few actors where as prepared to give that in 1931 Hollywood. I actually feel that at times his performance belongs more in one of Martin Scorsese's Gangster films than anything else I have seen in the '30s.

I should say now that The Public Enemy has been recently restored, and released on DVD, with deleted footage never before seen. I have seen this film a few times in recent years, and the new DVD is a revelation! On the disc, I have not found a reference to the scene that was included but I'm positive I know which one it is because I would have remembered it. There is a scene when Cagney is fitted for a suit by two gay tailors, and many eyebrows are raised while he is measured. The scene ends with Cagney saying "Why don'tch you two Moes get an adding machine?" not very P.C., but I thought it was an alarmingly daring scene even for Pre-Code Hollywood, and surely why it was cut. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I would have remembered the scene.

If you have never seen this film, the timing could not be more perfect. Highly recommended!

I also need give credit to the brilliant director William "Wild Bill" Wellman, who's tough direction is equally worthy of any credit this film has. He is also the director of LivingFilm favorite Wild Boys of the Road -see post in the January Archives-. Actually Frankie Darro star of Wild Boys of the Road actually has a small part in the beginning part of The Public Enemy. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters