<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Heaven Can Wait


Heaven can wait
Originally uploaded by livingfilm.
Sorry I have been quiet for the past week. I haven't found the time to talk about anything. I have been watching a lot of films, and I will briefly discuss a few of them. First off I would like to talk about Ernst Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait -1943. This film reminded me a lot of Powell & Pressburger's The Life and Death of Col. Blimp -1942 ( one of my personal favorites), except instead of a career in the British Military, it is the life and loves of an American Playboy. After dying and arriving in Hell, Henry Van Cleve (Don Ameche) tells Satan the story of his wicked life, and his one love Martha Strable (Gene Tierney who like Debrorah Kerr in Blimp appears in two roles, though briefly the second time). As with most of Lubitsch's films the dialog was sparklingly sophisticated and witty, and the film was very charmingly effervescent! Highly Recommended!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters