<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Monday, October 10, 2005

Go West!


Hollywood has always been a honey pot of sexy ladies. And over the years a select few become legendary. Dietrich, Garbo, Monroe, Harlow, each still evoke a sense of glamour and sex appeal, even among those who may have never seen one of their films, but have seen pictures of them on postcards and magazines. One such lady, who's stock has unfortunately fallen considerably since her death in 1980 is the incomparable Mae West.

Mae West was one of the brassiest women in show business, she was obsessed with three things, herself, sex, and herself having sex. And she wasn't afraid to tell you so either. Mae West's early films are gems, actually her later films are still pretty great, but the censorship of the times really cramped her style. She wrote all of the dialog in her films herself, and they contain some of the most brilliant exchanges in film history, and they never come across as stagey. West was credited with personally saving Paramount studios during the 30's with her sexy comedies. Mae West would later prove to be very popular with feminists during the 1960's and 70's, as an icon of a self possessed, and straight forward woman. But then, why has she been so neglected over the past 25 years?

One of the reasons I find is that her style, her dress, her mannerisms, don't hold with modern sensibilities regarding feminine beauty, and charm. Mae West was never a gentle fawn, she knew the score and she thought it was great. Her mannerisms were almost masculine, leading more than one person I've talked to find her dikeish. Well what ever their reasons are, I can't understand. Because Mae West will always bring me joy. I think she is terribly sexy, and her wit is only one of her good parts. And she don't show her good parts to strangers. For you beginners, I recommend watching I'M NO ANGEL for starters, it is full of her sexy wit in full-force. Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

Yeah baby! Mae West is the best! Her movies are so entertaining, mostly because of the dialogue. She does hold all of the power in any situation, I think we could all learn a lesson from her. Love her!

7:17 AM  
Blogger krista messer said...

This is totally unrelated, but I was wondering if you have ever seen a film called "Take a Girl Like You" starring Hayley Mills and Oliver Reed? It is a Kingsley Amis book I just finished reading, that was made into a motion picture. just curious!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

No, I've never seen it. But, I do love me some Haley Mills. I'll have to check it out. By the way, now that you are sort of related to her, what are the chances that we could meet her?

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters