<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Christmas in July


I just got back from the first evening of the NWFC's annual TOP DOWN film festival @ the Mallory. They started this year with one of Preston Sturges' greatest and most underrated films Christmas in July.
Based on Sturges' own play called A Cup of Coffee, Christmas in July stars Dick Powell as hopeful nobody who is tricked into believing that he has won $25,000 in a Coffee slogan contest, by his coworkers. This film is so witty, and the dialog is so fresh and snappy, that I hope when I die I can live in a movie written by Sturges. I highly recommend this film to anyone who wants to have a great time in 67 minutes! Polly, you would love this movie because it is the ultimate movie with a Christmas feel to it, though it has nothing to do with Christmas. I think the play would be great to see as well, and it still appears every now and again on the stage. Well, I've got to go, just thought I would right a quick post. Later.

P.S. Next week the film is going to be Woody Allen's Sleeper, and the next Week John Water's Polyester, then at some time they are playing a film from the 40's called Bill and Coo, staring birds! this title of this post is a link to the NWFC site. See you there!

3 Comments:

Blogger ted d. said...

I will like to take this and all of Buster Keaton's movies as further evidence of the joy to be found in movies at 90min or less. (though I do now tolerate 120min)

7:59 PM  
Blogger polly conway said...

Oh, that sounds so great! I love Dick Powell and his weird big face...so cute!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I heard a rumor that Ted can also handle three hour Bollywood movies if they involve extremely humorous wigs and spies and stuff.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters