<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ben-Hur (1959)


So last night after I got home from my long day of Jury duty, I was so exhausted I didn't think I had the energy to even watch a movie. Then the thought occurred to me "I should watch Ben-Hur". I know it doesn't make sense that I would choose such a long film to cap my sleepy evening, yet somehow it was just the thing I needed.
Ben-Hur was one of my childhood favorites. I've always been a sucker for big epics, but over the years many of the films that I once loved have become taxing to watch, such as Cleopatra, and My Fair Lady. Not the case of Ben-Hur. For being such a Hollywood "Sword and Sandal" spectacle, Ben-Hur still holds up as good film making. I think part of this is because, though it is awfully long, it doesn't seem to have a lot of filler. The film doesn't stop to let you marvel at the sets and costumes, it just keeps the story moving. There is plenty to marvel at, but it never takes precedence over the characters. And of course the legendary Chariot race is truly marvelous, the stunts and camera work are virtuosic. The stunt coordinator was the legendary ex- stunt-man Yakima Cunutt, who besides performing stunts in countless Hollywood classics, performed the still hair-raising stunts in Stagecoach. Also, I find the Christian themes of the movie to be suprisingly light-handed considering the time the film was made. Though not for everyone, Ben-Hur is still high entertainment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

ben hur is one of my all time favorite films growing up too! epicity is grand.

(i just made up that word - epicity - having epic qualities)

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters