<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Dietrich's Summer Diet


Here we are in that time of year, often referred to as the dog days of Summer. And, as you may have noticed livingfilm has taken a bit of a vacation, but do not fear, there are plenty of film talk coming. But, I've hardly found time to watch or write about my beloved medium for the past couple of weeks, so I have decided to give you a couple of recipes from that film goddess Marlene Dietrich! Yes, that Sex goddess was also a whiz in the kitchen! And here are a couple of her favorite meal suggestions to help you through these Dog Days.

Russian Salad (One of Them)
Sliced apples, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions. Salt. Children like it without dressing. You can add oil and lemon, but no other king of salad dressing. Serve it in large bowls. Makes a very good dinner with nothing else but cheese, bread and butter.

Omelette `Ecume
When you are stuck for a dessert, this is it. Takes no time at all. 2 yolks of egg per person. Mix with 3 tablespoon of sugar till creamy. Beat the whites stiff. Fold one into the other carefully so the whites don't fall. Heat a tablespoon of butter, or more, golden in a large frying pan. Pour mixture slowly into the pan. Turn flame low. Very low. Cover pan. Wait. After a couple of minutes, you can peek. When the omelette is thickening on the rim of the pan, try lifting it with a dull knife, enough to see if it is browning well underneath. But do that only if the omelette can be lifted a bit. Otherwise wait some more seconds. If it browns too much, turn your flame a trifle lower. The top should look as before, but it should be warm. The bottom of the omelette should be golden brown. When this is accomplished, put the platter on which you want to serve the omelette near the pan. Slide omelette onto the platter-it should glide over if you used enough butter-and when half of it is on the platter, tilt the pan so that the other half folds over the first, sandwiching in the yellow foam. This has to be eaten right away, so don't ever start when your guests are still eating the main course. Let them smoke and have coffee while you are making this.

I think these are great suggestions! I hope these come in handy this summer.
Love Always,
Livingfilm

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

wasn't she stunningly beautiful!!! i am embarrassed to say that i have never in my life seen any film with m.d. - dearest derek, where do i begin?

7:41 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

That's a great question Sue. I would reccomend starting with her early films, the ones directed by Josef von Sternberg such as Morrocco, Blonde Venus, Shanghai Express, and The Scarlet Empress. These are her most glamorous films, and she is photographed so beautifully because Sternberg was obssesed with her beauty. But, now that I think about it I think you should start with Destry Rides Again made in 1939. It was the begining of her big comeback and it is a perfect balance of her sexy and comical sides. But I still think you should see the Sternberg films too, they'll blow your mind with how extreme the sets and over all glamour are. Particularly The Scarlet Empress where she plays Cathrine the Great. And in Blonde Venus she does a sort of strip-tease in a Gorrilla costume! Not to be missed!
P.S. That message on my answering machine blew my mind, and totally made my day, I'll save it forever!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

i love you derek as tears fall from my little greenish-blue eyes!!!

8:34 AM  
Blogger polly conway said...

ooh, that russian salad sounds so good! reminds me of the delish watermelon/cucumber salad from the beach house!

11:31 AM  
Blogger ted d. said...

umm, what about the blue angel? I like that md film alot...

I wish I had time to smoke and chat between courses. Courses? Shit, I'm lucky to have seconds of Bachelor Chow.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

I love The Blue Angel a lot too, it is the movie that made her a star. But, it can be kind of brutal for some people so I tend to reccomend it to people after they watch a couple of the other films. And yes, coffee and cigarettes between courses! How refreshing!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters